1. I found nits in my child's hair this morning, can they come to school?

Yes, following treatment.

2. My child has nits, what is the best way to treat them?

3. What is the role of the school nurse?

The school nurse provides school health services and promotion of health education. The school nurse provides health care to students and staff, performs health screenings and co-ordinates referrals.

4. How do I make an appointment to see the school nurse?   

The school nurse holds regular drop-in sessions at the school which are advertised on the school notice board or you can ask at the school office.

5. My child needs medication during the school day, do I need to come to the school to give it to them?

The school is only able to administer prescription medicines. If your child need antibiotics 4 times a day we are able to administer one dose at school (please come to the office to complete a form. If it is three times a day we would ask that you arrange it around school hours.  For all other medicines please speak to the class teacher or school office.

6. My child has an appointment during the school day what are the arrangements for collecting my child.

Please inform the class teacher if you know in advance then come to the school office to sign your child out of school. Please try to make routine appointments out of school hours if possible but we understand that some may need to be in school hours.

7. My child has an infectious illness when can they return to schoool?

Please speak to the school office.

8. What happens if a child hurts themselves at school?

In an emergency we will call the emergency services otherwise we will contact the parent/guardian using the details we hold on file and complete an accident form. If it is a minor injury (scrape or fall) we may inform you at the end of school and give you a copy of the form.

9. What happens if my child becomes unwell at school?

If we think the child needs to go home we will telephone using the details we have on file.

10. My child has a medical condition how can I make staff aware of the care and support they need.

Please speak to the class teacher.

11. Other people find it difficult to understand what my child is saying, how will my child be supported?

Intervention programmes to support speech development and confidence can be put into place within school with TAs specifically qualified to work with children with speech and language difficulties. These could be 1:1 or group sessions depending on the needs of the individual child. If the parents and teachers think a need is such that outside, specialist support should be sought, a referral to a Speech and Language Therapist can be made for a child to be assessed for more specific needs. The therapist will then decide what action to take in terms of support and intervention which can run alongside or as part of in-school sessions.
12. My child finds learning difficult, how will they be supported?

 The support given to children would depend on their individual difficulties and needs. If you have a concern about your child's learning it is important to raise it with their class teacher or the school SEN Coordinator (SENCO) who can discuss with you ways to move forward and support your child at home as well as what we are doing in school to support them. Support can range from interventions within class and during assembly times in small groups or 1:1 to seeking advice and input from outside agencies. Children's needs are catered for through differentiated class planning and grouping as well as these additional support groups or 1:1 sessions